My ex-husband is refusing to pay his parking fine!

From: Susan
Subject: Advice about a parking ticket

I received a parking ticket for a car that is registered to me but it belongs to my ex husband who is not cooperating by changing ownership or phoning you to pay fine. What should I do? Many thanks Sue

Hi Sue,

Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 there is the concept of keeper liability. This means that the keeper could be held liable for a private parking charge in certain circumstances. You can discharge your liability as keeper by providing the name and contact details for the driver of the vehicle. Therefore you can respond to the letter you’ve received from the parking company with your ex-husbands details and you will have discharged your liability. If you do this, then make sure you keep a copy of the correspondence in case you need them in the future.

Best of luck, PC